Thursday, July 2, 2015

Month 6 - Week of Time with Doctors

On Monday, which I admit was still Month 5, but I did not get around to posting, I saw a foot doctor as I had developed an infection in a couple of toes.   Antibiotics from my GP had fixed things but the foot was still swollen and I wanted to make sure there was not an issue.  We have private medical insurance through Sara's job so I got a private appointment sooner than I would have gotten an NHS appointment.

Here is were the health care system in the UK gets better than the one in the US.   In the US if you have insurance you are in the queue for treatment with the other 70% or so of the population that also has insurance.   In the UK if you are a legal resident you are covered by the NHS and you have the queue for treatment with 100% of the population.   And since the UK is not spending the 15% of GDP on health care that is being spent in the US (to cover part of the population) ... some things don't happen that fast.

Enter private insurance.  If you are lucky enough to have private insurance then things really step up.  Almost no waiting.   Private rooms.   Wood paneled waiting areas.   Anyway, I was in and out of seeing the foot doctor in 15 minutes with advice to not worry about my foot.

Ok, so I have other things to worry about.   If I am not mistaken I am in the middle of a relapse.  Unfortunately impacting my left leg which up till now has been my "good" leg.   Also my hands and arms are weaker.  Not good.   Saw the Neurologist on Tuesday.    Today I was in Charing Cross, same room as before, getting an infusion of steroids.   Tomorrow another dose.  On the 10th some MRI action, and then at the end of the month another meeting with the Neurologist.

Am hoping the steroids help and maybe that some of how I am feeling is due to the weather ... which has a pretty dramatic effect at times.  I am a solid 6.5 at this point and leaning towards higher rather than lower.

No comments:

Post a Comment